Monday, February 22, 2010

PR and The Real World


Sometimes I feel like I am ready to conquer the 'real world' and then there is that moment that knocks me down and makes me realize that I have much to learn before I can spread my wings.  As a college I live in the 'college bubble' which sits happily outside of the 'real world', but like any bubble once its popped there is no going back.  

Last Friday I was able to get a glimpse of the 'real world' by attending PR Real World in Atlanta.  While I was there I was able to network with other public relations students and gain valuable insight from professionals in the industry.  After attending a similar conference in New York, I learned not to look at the title of a conference session, but to look at who is speaking.  One of the most interesting sessions I attended was on 'How to Seal the Deal', which was put on by the HR directors of two amazing public relations agencies, Ketchum and Porter Novelli.  Both directors gave great insight into what to do and what they look for in cover letters, resumes and interviews.  It was one of those surreal moments when you realize that the person on the other side of the email that could change your life forever, is human.  Both ladies where extremely down to earth and helped to uncover several myths and fears that fellow students and I had about the application process.

The majority of the speakers at PR Real World, did not know what they wanted to do after graduation and were not ready to jump into the real world either.  This made me feel ten times better about my approaching graduation date.  I also realized that the real world of public relations a) no two days are every alike and b) is extremely competitive.  A few speakers I found hard to talk to because they were light years ahead of me in terms of experience and appeared almost intimidating.  

Overall though I thought the experience was beneficial in terms of finding out how to take the next step and what I need to do to improve and make myself marketable to this competitive and fast-paced industry.  

*I also learned that Nine West makes more then one brown, light plaid, suit :)

No comments:

Post a Comment